This article is for the setting up WhatsApp for the standard Support agent interface.
Make sure that you review Understanding how WhatsApp channel works and its rules and WhatsApp 24-hour rule.
Here are the actions you need to take:
Installing social messaging channel
Purchasing hosting for WhatsApp phone number
You cannot add a WhatsApp phone number to Support unless you have installed social messaging and purchased hosting for your WhatsApp phone number.
If you need to add multiple WhatsApp phone numbers to Support, please let us know when you purchase hosting. You will be billed monthly per phone number.
Note: To purchase hosting for your WhatsApp phone number, contact your account manager.
Sending WhatsApp information to Zendesk and get deployment ID
- Collect the following information about your WhatsApp account:
- WhatsApp Business display name
- WhatsApp Business phone number
- Facebook Business Manager ID
If you purchased hosting for multiple WhatsApp phone numbers, collect this information for each of your accounts.
- Check your email for an automated email from Zendesk’s dedicated WhatsApp Integration team (from firstname.lastname@example.org). Reply to the email with your WhatsApp account information, so we can move forward with your activation.
It takes approx. 1-2 weeks to create your deployment ID and requires a few actions on your side.
- After you receive the email, send your information to the WhatsApp Integration team at email@example.com so we can move forward with your activation.
Note: Creating the deployment ID takes approximately 1-2 weeks total, and requires a few actions on your side, so please look for a reply email from us detailing your next steps.
Once all steps on both sides are complete, you will receive an email with your deployment ID and an installation link.
- Use your deployment ID to add WhatsApp in your Support account.
Installing the WhatsApp in Support integration
If you have not already installed social messaging you can use the installation link you received from Zendesk.
To install the WhatsApp in Support integration using the installation link
- Click the link in the email and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Alternatively, you can get the integration directly from the Zendesk Marketplace. In Admin Center, click the Apps and integrations icon () in the sidebar, then select Apps > Zendesk Support apps. Then click Marketplace at the top of the page and search for Social Messaging.
- In Admin Center, click the Apps and integrations icon () in the sidebar, then select Apps > Zendesk Support apps. Confirm the integration is on your list of installed apps.
You are now ready to configure the integration.
If needed, you can uninstall the integration by right-clicking the icon and choosing Uninstall from the shortcut menu.
Configuring WhatsApp in Support using a deployment ID
After you install the social messaging, you need to connect your WhatsApp accounts to Support. The easiest way to do this is with a deployment ID.
To connect WhatsApp accounts to Zendesk Support using a deployment ID
- In Admin Center, click the Apps and integrations icon () in the sidebar, then select Apps > Channel apps.
- On the Channel integrations page, click Social Messaging.
- On the Accounts tab, click the Add account button to add a WhatsApp account.
The Add account wizard displays. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your account.
- From the Channel drop-down list, select WhatsApp, and then click Continue.
- Enter your deployment ID (provided by Zendesk) and then click Save changes.
The Enter your verification code screen displays.
- Choose a verification method (SMS or phone call) and then click Send code.
- Go to your WhatsApp account and get your verification code (may take up to 60 seconds).
- Enter your verification code and then click Add account.
The WhatsApp account will now appears in your admin settings under Channels > Channel Integrations.Edit your business profile and set up the auto responder, if needed.