In this article, we will explain how you can add WhatsApp social messaging channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace. WhatsApp is a popular chat and voice messaging app with more than 1.5 billion users in over 180 countries. If you plan to use WhatsApp, you need the WhatsApp Phone Number add-on. For customers who purchased a Zendesk Suite account after Feb 1, 2021, this add-on is included at no extra charge.
You must have the Zendesk Agent Workspace with Social messaging enabled to use this feature.
Important: Once you add your WhatsApp number for messaging, you will no longer be able to use that number to receive calls in WhatsApp.
How to add a WhatsApp channel
- In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging.
- Click Add channel and select WhatsApp from the drop-down.
- Click Continue with WhatsApp to open the WhatsApp set-up flow.
Note: If the business account you selected already has a phone number you want to use, click Cancel to skip "Set up your phone number" part.
- When you've finished the set-up flow, click Done.
- From the drop-down in the Admin Center channel configuration, select the number you’d like to activate and click Next.
- Assign a name to the new WhatsApp channel you are connecting, then click Add channel.
Use a name that makes it easy to identify the channel in the Channels list.
Adding the channel may take up to 5 minutes as Zendesk works to set up hosting for your new number. When the channel connects successfully, a Channel added message appears.
To successfully spin up your WhatsApp number there are a few things to double check:
- Has your Facebook Business Manager been verified?
Before your WhatsApp business account can be approved, your Business Manager will need to be approved as outlined above.
- Are you eligible to use WhatsApp per WhatsApp’s Commerce Policy and has your WhatsApp business account been approved?
This takes approximately 1-2 weeks. If you fall in the list of prohibited businesses, you will unfortunately not be able to use this channel.
- Does your selected display name align with WhatsApp’s guidelines?
If you don’t select a display name that falls within WhatsApp’s guidelines, you will end up delaying the launch of your WhatsApp number.
If you are unable to use the self-service set-up flow, you will need to default to the deployment ID set up flow. In these rare cases, before you can add a WhatsApp channel, you'll need to send some information to Zendesk. For details, see this article from Zendesk.