In this article, we will explain how you can add WhatsApp social messaging channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace. WhatsApp is a popular chat and voice messaging app with more than 1.5 billion users in over 180 countries. If you plan to use WhatsApp, you need the WhatsApp Phone Number add-on. For customers who purchased a Zendesk Suite account after Feb 1, 2021, this add-on is included at no extra charge.
You must have the Zendesk Agent Workspace with Social messaging enabled to use this feature. If you are using standard agent interface, see Adding WhatsApp channel to Zendesk Support standard agent interface.
Important: Once you add your WhatsApp number for messaging, you will no longer be able to use that number to receive calls in WhatsApp.
How to add a WhatsApp channel
- In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging.
- Click Add channel and select WhatsApp from the drop-down.
- Click Continue with WhatsApp to open the WhatsApp set-up flow.
Note: If the business account you selected already has a phone number you want to use, click Cancel to skip "Set up your phone number" part.
- When you've finished the set-up flow, click Done.
- From the drop-down in the Admin Center channel configuration, select the number you’d like to activate and click Next.
- Assign a name to the new WhatsApp channel you are connecting, then click Add channel.
Use a name that makes it easy to identify the channel in the Channels list.
Adding the channel may take up to 5 minutes as Zendesk works to set up hosting for your new number. When the channel connects successfully, a Channel added message appears.
To successfully spin up your WhatsApp number there are a few things to double check:
- Has your Facebook Business Manager been verified?
Before your WhatsApp business account can be approved, your Business Manager will need to be approved as outlined above.
- Are you eligible to use WhatsApp per WhatsApp’s Commerce Policy and has your WhatsApp business account been approved?
This takes approximately 1-2 weeks. If you fall in the list of prohibited businesses, you will unfortunately not be able to use this channel.
- Does your selected display name align with WhatsApp’s guidelines?
If you don’t select a display name that falls within WhatsApp’s guidelines, you will end up delaying the launch of your WhatsApp number.
If you are unable to use the self-service set-up flow, you will need to default to the deployment ID set up flow. In these rare cases, before you can add a WhatsApp channel, you'll need to send some information to Zendesk. For details, see this article from Zendesk.
Please sign in to leave a comment.